Chia seeds are a fantastic little seed! Here are the amazing benefits of chia seeds:
- They are very high in Omega-3 fatty acids – in fact they are one of the richest plant-based sources of these fatty acids. The omega-3s in chia seeds can help reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol.
- They are very high in fiber! They have 10g of fiber in only 2 Tbsp, that’s 1/3 of your daily fiber! Fiber regulates bowel function, keeps the colon healthy and is associated lowering cholesterol.
- So many minerals! 2 Tbsp of chia seeds contain 18% percent of the recommended intake of calcium, 35% of phosphorus, 24% of magnesium and about 50% of manganese.
- They contain many antioxidants!
- Helps with satiety – aka it prolongs the feeling of being full, this is due to it’s high protein and fiber content
You can do so much with chia seeds! Anything from throwing them into a smoothie, baking them into a bread, simply adding them to water, or use as a thickener for jams, jellies and puddings. Check my recipe section for ideas!