So I LOVE the holidays and fall! I love making treats, getting cozy by a fireplace, holiday decorations and all that comes with the months of October, November, and December. My apartment is now officially “fall decorated out” complete with huge orange daisies :) To top it off I made these delicious healthy pumpkin chocolate chip oat bars! I changed it slightly, but the original recipe is from Ambitious Kitchen, my FAVORITE food blog to follow. This is a must try for the month of October, they make a perfect breakfast and/or dessert!
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I just put one core-free apple in the blender)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8×11 or 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Make oat flour: Place oatmeal into blender or food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until oatmeal resembles flour.
- Place the oat flour in a medium bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and applesauce for 1-2 minutes until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Slowly add in oat flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Once finished baking, cool 10 minutes on wire rack. EAT!
Be happy. Be fit.