If I had my eyes closed and took a bite of this, I literally would have thought it was a bite of pizza! I threw a few things together and surprised myself with how amazing it was. This recipe tastes SO GOOD and is 100% healthy!
Imagine your standard burrito bowl, but with a Italian twist… a PIZZA BOWL! Filled with oregano, basil and onion infused brown rice, a tomato sauce made from fresh heirloom tomatoes and spices, and a few pizza-esq toppings! YUMMM!
Ingredients: (enough for 2 :))
- 1 Cup Brown Rice
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 10-15 Leaves Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes (or I used about 15 mini Heirloom Tomatoes)
- 1 Cup chopped Bell Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves, diced
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mushrooms (and/or Italian Sausage, olives… any pizza topping)
- Cook the brown rice as you normally would, but when you add the rice and water, also add 1/2 of the yellow onion (chopped), 2 tsp Oregano, and about 6-7 finely chopped basil leaves.
- As the brown rice cooks, chop your tomatoes and begin to saute them in olive oil. Once slightly cooked start to mash them a bit. Add the garlic, 6-7 diced basil leaves, rest of the onion, and salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Let simmer about 15mins. Then add the chopped red bell pepper, simmer another 10mins. (If it starts to get dry, add more olive oil)
- Now saute your mushrooms (however much you want!) in olive oil and a little basil and/or oregano. Also prepare any other “pizza toppings” you want. ie. olives, sausage, spinach, artichoke hearts etc.
- When the rice is done, plop some of that delicious stuff in a bowl, top with a few scoops of the tomato-bell pepper sauce, and then the mushrooms and/or the toppings of your choice. ENJOY!!
Let me know if you have any questions, and share what toppings you used, I’d love to hear!
Be Happy. Be Fit.