Do you ever notice that you are really sore a day or two after workouts? Or are you fatigued for the rest of the day after a killer gym session? Maybe you need to check in on your diet and Post-Workout Nutrition!
One thing that REALLY helps decrease muscle soreness and fatigue after a hard workout is your post-exercise nutrition. Here are some quick facts about eating post-workout and why it is important… then a fun recipe for you to try!
- Eat some protein and some carbohydrates! It is VERY important that you eat after your workout. Preferably in a 4:1 ratio – Carb:Protein.
- You should eat within 30 minutes of finishing your workout! That is the magic time-window where your body has the most efficient metabolism and can quickly and easily repair muscle tissue.
- The carbohydrates you consume will help replace your muscle glycogen storage in your muscles (ie. what fuels your muscles and allows them to function) – your body can replenish this storage most efficiently in that 30min window.
- The protein you consume contains amino acids, which are the molecules what your body needs to rebuild torn and worn down muscle tissue in the muscles you just worked so hard.
- PS: In every workout, especially strength workouts, you get many micro-tears in your muscle fibers; this is NOT a bad thing, the tearing and rebuilding of those mini tears is what makes you stronger, leaner, and more toned!