I’m really excited to share this recipe with you!! These muffins are a whole-grain, hearty and healthy breakfast. Not too sweet, but full of flavor! They are by far my new favorite breakfast recipe!
So my dad brews beer and with his last batch he saved all the grain used (one of the first steps of brewing beer includes the soaking and draining of barley or other grains in water), then he toasted the grain to dry it back out and then ground it into flour. Cool! I got some of the barley flour so decided to experiment with it, and VOILA! Amazing muffins were born! And these are pretty healthy too!
Berry Berry Barley Muffins
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick) – softened, not melted
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk (regular milk would work too)
- 1/4 cup Applesauce
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup Barley Flour (don’t have any? sub with whole wheat flour)
- 1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup Blueberries, whole
- 1/3 cup Walnuts (optional)
- Beat the butter and sugar until well mixed and creamy. Add in the egg, vanilla, greek yogurt, lemon zest and applesauce and stir until well mixed. Then add almond milk and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flours, salt, baking soda & cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Now fold in those delicious berries! Add walnuts if you want a more nutty flavor.
- Scoop into lined muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until you can stick a knife into the muffin and it comes out clean.
- Let cool for several minutes, grab one and enjoy! YUMMMM!