Fall is here! Two great things about this season are the fall colors and the fall flavors. One thing that undoubtedly begins to pop up everywhere is the heavily anticipated pumpkin flavor!
A lot of things (pumpkin beer, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bagels etc) are not healthy and should be saved for every once in awhile. However, pumpkin itself has a lot of nutrients. Below are some of the health benefits of this orange squash as well as a few of my favorite healthier pumpkin recipes, enjoy!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PUMPKIN!
- Very low calorie! 100g (about 1/2 cup) only has 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol
- JAM-PACKED with vitamin A – which helps with vision and healthy skin. A cup of cubed pumpkin has over twice the recommended daily intake of vitamin A
- Contains fiber, which helps you feel full.
- Pumpkin contains more potassium that a banana! It is also a great source of iron and vitamin C, which can boost immunity
- Pumpkin seeds have some protein, healthy fats, and can lower your LDL levels (the bad cholesterol)
- Pumpkin Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread – I made this last week and it is AMAZING! Whole wheat too :)
- Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad – add chopped kale and/or leave out the feta for a healthier alternative
- Paleo Pumpkin Chicken “Casserole” – uses spaghetti squash as the “pasta”, and is protein filled!
- Healthy Pumpkin Oat Bars – yumm, make a good grab and go breakfast