It is that time of year where everybody starts to get sick. But not YOU!! Here are 6 foods that are great for boosting your immune system. See how many of these you can get into your diet. And remember, drinking water – at least 8 cups a day – will also greatly improve your immune system!
- Yogurt – Probiotics, or the “live active cultures” found in yogurt, are healthy bacteria that keep the gut and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs.
- Garlic – This potent onion relative contains the active ingredient allicin, which fights infection and bacteria.
- Sweet Potatoes – You may not think of skin as part of your immune system, but this crucial organ serves as a first-line defense against bacteria, viruses, and other undesirables. To stay strong and healthy, your skin needs vitamin A, which is found in sweet potatoes and other orange veggies.
- Oats & Barley – These grains contain beta-glucan, a type of fiber with antimicrobial & antioxidant properties. It boosts immunity, speeds wound healing, and may help antibiotics work better.
- Tea – The amino acid that’s responsible for this immune boost, L-theanine, is abundant in both black and green tea—decaf versions have it too!
- Lastly, Chicken Noodle Soup really does help! – The soup blocks the migration of inflammatory white cells. The amino acid cysteine, released from chicken during cooking, chemically resembles the bronchitis drug acetylcysteine, which means the soup’s salty broth keeps mucus thin the same way cough medicines do!