I just discovered Zucchini noodles!! Talk about a low-calorie, nutrient dense pasta alternative! Especially when paired with this red bell pepper marinara sauce. Maybe they have been all the rage recently, and I am behind the times, but I don’t know why I haven’t tried them yet!
Last night a made the “noodles”, and slathered them in a red bell pepper marinara sauce. Not only is this recipe a great alternative to pasta, it is so easy! Plus, zucchini’s are a good source with Vitamin C, Manganese, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin K.
Zucchini Noodle Pasta in Red Bell Pepper Marinara Sauce
Ingredients: Recipe for two
- 3 Zucchinis (medium/large)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 Large Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Tomato
- Dash of Basil (dried)
- 2/3 cup your favorite generic marinara sauce
- Olive oil
- Here is the only slightly tedious part: cutting the noodles! Keep the skin on and cut a very thin strip off one side of the zucchini, keep cutting these thin strips until you start to hit the middle with the seeds. Then rotate the zucchini and start making the thin slices on another side. Repeat for all 4 sides of the zucchini, you should end up with just the seedy core of the zucchini. Repeat for all 3 zucchinis.
- Then take this strips (which are currently the width of your zucchini) and slice them lengthwise as thin as you can to create long, skinny, “noodles” of zucchini. See picture below!
- Next coarsely chop the tomato, red bell pepper. Then finely chop the garlic.
- Place garlic and bell pepper in a pan with the olive oil. Saute over medium heat until bell peppers are cooked!
- Add the marinara, tomato, and dash of basil.
- Let this simmer on low for about 5 mins
- Meanwhile, place your zucchini noodles in a microwavable container, cover, and nuke for 2-3 mins.
- Add the zucchini to the marinara sauce and stir until noodles are covered in the delicious sauce.
Vuala!! I paired mine with pesto quinoa. Sounds exotic and awesome right?? Well it is! And guess what all you have to do is put 2 tablespoons of pesto into your quinoa right after it is done cooking and stir! (2 Tbsp per 1 cup of quinoa).