Hope your week is off to a good start. Today we are going to talk about the scientific reasons that lemon water is good for you. Have you heard of this trend yet?? It is something that people have started raving about in health magazine, blogs etc. So I decided to do some research to see if all the excitement was based on fact… and good news, it is!!
If you you want the quick points, just read the bold parts below. If you want to know WHY then read the details. Hope you learn something interesting! :)
Reasons Why Squeezing 1/2 a Lemon into your Water is Beneficial…
- Improved digestion! This is due to the citrus flavonoids (aka molecules and their unique structure). Certain flavonoids act as a digestive tonic and can calm mild indigestion. The lemon juice also aids in the physical breakdown of food.
- Cleanses and detoxifies. This is the benefit that gets hyped up – but it is true! Lemon juice has a compound – Citrate – that is a natural inhibitor of toxins in the body. Citrate and citric acid aid the liver in filtering these unwanted toxins.
- Keeps your body at the correct pH. Even though outside the body lemon juice is acidic, when metabolized by the body IT ACTUALLY BECOMES ALKALINE! Meaning that it increases our bodies pH (remember back to those chemistry days: low pH = acidic, high pH = alkaline/basic) Too acidic of an environment is terrible for our body’s cells! So lemon water helps to increase the pH, making a healthier environment for our cells, joints, decrease inflammation etc)
- Improved skin and reduce wrinkles. This great benefit is due to the fruit’s antioxidant properties. The antioxidants are able to reverse the breakdown of collagen in the skin. Collagen gives the skin structure and strength. Thus lack of collagen = wrinkles
- Hydrate while getting vitamins and minerals! Lastly, adding lemon also adds vitamin C, potassium, vitamin E, B-complex vitamins, calcium and some iron! All while still hydrating.
Maybe try some warm water with lemon instead of coffee a few days this week, or have some iced for a refreshing afternoon pick-me-up. **Although both are beneficial, you get more benefit from drinking lemon water warm! Enjoy!!