This recipe is PERFECT for when you have a busy week ahead of you. Take an hour over the weekend to chop, cook and put together this salad. Make a big batch and then put it in the refrigerator for an easy lunch or dinner throughout the week. Yum!
Quinoa is an amazingly healthy whole grain, loaded with protein. In fact, it is the only grain that is considered a complete protein! Plus, it is extremely nutrient dense. Add all these veggies and BAM! A super healthy meal!
Quinoa Veggie Salad (Recipe = 8-10 servings)
- 2 cups Quinoa (red, white or a mix)
- 1 cup cooked Lentils (I just use the pre-cooked ones from Trader Joes :) )
- 3 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Cucumber, diced
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Rice Vinegar)
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa: Rinse and drain the quinoa. Bring 7 cups of water to a boil, add a dash of salt and the quinoa and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 15 mins, until tender but NOT overcooked. Err on the side of just barely under-cooked.
- Transfer the quinoa to a cookie sheet, spread thin, then place in fridge to cool.
- Make the dressing: Put your vinegar of choice and lemon juice in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the 1/3 cup of olive oil. Whisk in the lemon zest. Then add salt and pepper and any additional vinegar to taste.
- Now dice all your veggies. Dice everything pretty small!
- Time to put it all together! Dump your cooked and cooled quinoa into a huge bowl, toss to break up any clumps. Add the lentils (cooked!) and all the vegetables, cilantro, & parsley. Add 1/2 cup of the dressing and toss!
- Taste and add remainder of the dressing if desired.
ENJOY as a cold salad! Put into Tupperware or cover in fridge for a grab and go meal for the rest of the week.
Be Healthy. Be Happy.