These are seriously so delicious!! They are in my healthy section, although they really should be referred to as a healthy treat :) I put it in this section because it definitely is a MUCH healthier version that your traditional banana bread recipes which are usually loaded with butter and sugar. This recipe uses greek yogurt, bananas, egg whites, and less sugar…AND THEY TASTE AMAZING!! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted*
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup non-fat vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk of choice (skim, soy, almond, coconut, etc)
- For walnut crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with paper cups or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mix whole wheat flour, baking soda, & salt. In a different bowl combine bananas, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, greek yogurt, egg whites and melted butter.
- Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just barely combined, then add the milk.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
- Now for the topping! In a bowl mix brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, walnuts and cinnamon. Cut in 1 TBSP of butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on the top of the muffins.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean.
This recipe is a slightly modified version of Ambitious Kitchen’s Better-For-You Banana Bread. Gotta’ give her credit :)
Be Happy. Be Fit.